From:
George & Gayle Kennedy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Sep 1998 14:06:28 -0400

ARTHUR L. HIRDLER really sent a thunderbolt this morning.  I'm really
excited to think that he may have hit on something important.  Perhaps
genetic testing can replace the biopsy as the gold standard for proving
celiac disease!

Meanwhile, I want to run a thought by all of you that now seems NOT to be
true, but I'd like your feedback.  When first diagnosed, I read and read in
the U. of MN Medical Library about celiac sprue, and concluded that celiacs
were missing some enzyme that would help us digest gluten. As a result of
that reading, I theorized that if that enzyme could be identified and put
in pill or liquid form, then we could all return to eating gluten with no
ill effects, not unlike the way diabetics take insulin. (I realize that is
an oversimplification.) I have seen nothing about that theory for years,
and if Hirdler's ideas are correct, then the enzyme theory is of no value,
but has anyone ever followed up on the enzyme possibility?

With Mr. HIRDLER's ideas in mind, I'm about to go sharpen my arrows, put a
new string on the bow, and go paleolithic for my diet!  Ithaca is having an
over population of deer anyway.  Now to start shaking down nuts and hunting
berries. Interesting thought.  He even included the possibility of opioid
reactions and other celiac complications.  And he mentioned a negative
reaction to oral polio vaccine - which really hit me three years ago.  I
thought he covered the waterfront!

  Where do we go from here?  I feel as though the sun just came down in a
blaze of glory.

Gayle Kennedy