From:
Deni Hansen-Gray Weber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Sep 1998 11:04:45 -0500

Hi all -

Saw this thread happening and I would like to, again, recommend that each
of you who is interested in making some changes look at Lucy Shriver's
Gluten-Free Kitchen website.

http://home1.gte.net/lbshri

I belive the link to follow is "New Food Labels." or something very close
to that.

Lucy is presenting those of us with food specific problems a wonderful
opportunity to address this issue with the FDA.  Her petition asks for
trace ingredients and sources to be clearly labled on all foods.  Not just
gluten.  Any source.  Corn, wheat, soy, ect.  And trace ingredients.  Seems
to me this covers the bases well.  My only addition would be to ask that
allergens used in manufacturing processes be disclosed as well.  I am not
sure that manufacturers would have to disclose the dusting flours they use
in processes, as I have heard that they are not considered ingredients.
Anywho, Lucy suggests that each who sends a petition add their own
comments.  That would be mine.

Lucy also has an on-line petition to be sent to manufacturers that have
over 2,000 signatures already.

If  you would benefit from proper labeling of US foods - this is a
wonderful place to have your input heard.  Encourage friends and relatives
who support you to do the same.

This is a place to start, at least in the US.

For those of you in other countries, perhaps you could find our how your
foods are regulated and follow suit.  I have no knowledge of how things
work anywhere else, but seems to me that Lucy is blazing a fantastic trail
to follow.

If you want to make changes in US foods, here is a place to start.

deni
(who's soap box of her own is beginning to feel quite comfortable)

Valparaiso, IN USA

It is seldom wise to leave a live dragon out of your calculations if you
happen to live near one.