From:
Maurizio Geneletti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Sep 1998 09:19:11 +0100

Hello everybody, after my trip I wanted to share my impression
to all the people that wrote to me on this subject.

The trip was marvellous and the places we visited magnific,
we have been also to Kutna Ora,Brno,Bratislava.

Regarding the food first of all I have to say that I have had
many problems due to the language because not many people
speak english fluently(as in Italy I would say).
I started in Budapest showing my very detailed translation
in Ungherian and I could see from the astonished expression
of the waiters at the restaurants that Celiac
was not known at all and that they never had seen a person
showing such message ("sometimes" was funny).
After having been "forced" to eat salad for few times (because
waiters didn't want to take any responsability after having
read that message) I was quite to decide to get rid
of the translation.
Sometimes in Budapest the answer was SORRY BUT
THERE IS NOTHING WITHOUT WHEAT.

In Chek Republic and Slovak Rep
I had a very short translation :
I CAN EAT ANYTHING WITH WHEAT
and this seems to work better.
In any case they were very accomodating in
suggesting alternatives and I had less problems.

This is my overall impression and of course it may vary
from the places/restaurants/people you meet by chance
(in any case in general all the people we met were very kind
and friendly and helped a lot).
To close this I want to say that sometimes the different
languages unfortunately do matter and do represent a
problem when traveling.

Best regards to everybody and thanks for your messages.
Maurizio