From:
Diane Holmes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Aug 1998 14:33:41 -0700

Thanks for the input from so many of you.

Yes, cheese with mold CAN contain bread crumbs.  However, the good new
is that some do not.

I talked with a leading cheese manufacturer in the Seattle area.  He, in
turn, called his lab where they buy their cheese cultures.  That's Chris
Hanson Labs in Wisconsin, which, he says, is THE leading and premier lab
in the country.  All of their cultures are gluten free.  Mendora brand
bleu and gorgonzola cheeses are gluten free.  (That's all this
manufacturer carries so it is all he checked on.)  I have no idea what
the marketing area is for Mendora brand cheeses.  He says the Mendora
Bleu is similar to a Danish Bleu.

According to the chemist in Chris Hanson Labs any of the moldy cheeses
could so we must check on each brand.  However, if the cheese maker buys
their cultures from Chris Hanson, then it would be gf.

Now, Roquefort is another story.  As with French wines, roquefort can
only be made in one region in France and no where else in the world.
Their process is a closely guarded secret and has not changed for
generations.  So, my challenge is this.  Is there anyone from France
that can check on Roquefort and it's gluten status?  Or do you know a
distributor that will help us out?  Wouldn't it be nice to make and eat
a gluten free roquefort dressing again?

A listmate from the UK states that "real" silton and classic Danish Blue
are gluten free.  He says the Danish Blues are made from copper salts
and not mold at all.  His wife, who is extremely sensitive, eats them
with no problem.  She avoids Roquefort, however, because they believe it
is made with bread crumbs.

Another listmate says that he talked with Maytag and their brand of bleu
cheese does contain gluten (bread crumbs).

According to the cheese maker and the lab, virtually all hard cheese are
gluten free.

Diane (Seattle USA area)