From:
charlie white <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Sep 1998 12:32:53 -0400

Hi all,

Am back on the computer, have been off all summer.

I would like to recount an awful experience I had a week and a half ago.
I was driving along in my car and all of a sudden my hear started to pound
so hard, I also felt faint.  I stopped and was taken to emergency.  Of
course they suspected heart trouble and hooked me up to the ekg.  Everything
was fine as were blood tests so they conclued it was a panic attack.
2 wks prior I had been handling gluten and no doubt with company etc.
ingested some crumbs.  My skin was itching, pain in left chest, very bad
anxiety,  generally not feeling well.

Since this attack my head is still fuzzy and not back to normal.
My question is does anyone think it is possible that gluten could have
brought this on?

I might add that I have never had a reaction like this, have been on the
diet 5 yrs. Would appreciate any replies.

PS.  I spoke with one person diagnosed celiac who is sensitive to odors of
fresh bread (heated bread, toast, etc.), and can get a reaction from
handling gluten.  She recommended wearing rubber gloves/masks if exposed to
these kinds of gluten contact.  I know I once got a reaction (itch, etc.)
when a hot pizza was placed in front of me by mistake.  This summer I was
handling bread, making sandwiches for company, and was in a camp where
gluten toast was being prepared in a toaster reserved for that purpose.
Also, was a personal care attendant preparing toast etc. for clients in
their homes.  My son (also celiac) gets an allergic (respiratory reaction)
when walking by the fresh bakery section of supermarkets.

Wow!  This would really be "exquisite sensitivity!"  Maybe a step further
for immune system reactions.  Anyway, I am being careful, but concerned
about the increased restrictions that this implies.

I had additonal reactions while visiting relatives who thawed out bread
(homemade from Canadian "hard wheat") and made lots of toast (family reunion
over three days).  Real "hot bread" smells!

Janet in Maine