PSYCHOAN Archives

Psychoanalysis

PSYCHOAN@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Yuki Hasebe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Psychoanalysis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Sep 1998 11:27:56 -0500
Dear PSYCHOAN,
     Would anyone be so kind as to recommend some journal articles (possibly
reveiw papers would be great, not necessarily though) which consist of
theoretical data and empirical evidence (not case studies) to support ...
1. parental styles' effects upon the development of the children's certain
personality and
2. psychoanalytical perspectives to also support parental effects upon the
children's certain personality formation including issues dealing with the
long-term effects of early life experience (e.g. why fixation of ego between
a parent and the child).
    Many psychologists (e.g. Judith Harris, : Where is the child's
environment? A group socialization theory of development) seem to question
the 'primary' effects of parents and the family upon the the formation of
the child personality. (Harris explicitly claims that there are few strong
parent effects, based on studies such as those examining the personality
characteristic of adopted children).  Or other psychologists (e.g. Jerome
Kagan, Three pleasing ideas) argue against psychoanalytical views especially
regarding the long-lasting effects of the magnitude of early life traumatic
experiences upon the development of personality.
    I would like to counter-argue them to explain why these views, esp.,
social interaction constructivistic theory does not buffer the adverse
effects of parental psychological abuse and possibly the formation of
maladjustment within the victim child or adults with such experience.
 I do not necessarily view such a relation as only childhood experience but
it as rather a long-term (at least as far as psychological connection is
concerned), so the abuse may not be able to explained by certain
psychoanalytic theory which places a focus on very early period of a child
life.
      If you happen to know of a good article that you think I might want to
take a look at, please let me know.
Thank you much. You could also e-mail me personally, not using the psychoan
space.

Yuki Hasebe
Educational Psychology
University of Illinois, Chicago