From:
Pat Shechter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Jul 1998 11:14:45 -0400

Hello, Everyone,

Here is another idea on the subject of taking condiments to restaurants,
especially for anyone who eats frequently at the same restaurant(s).  It is
to keep a specific condiment at that restaurant.  Soon after I was diagnosed
with CD, I went shopping for some basic foods, one of which, for me, is
gluten-free soy sauce.  When I found it at a local Bread & Circus grocery, I
purchased 2 bottles.  One I keep at home.  The other I took with me to a
small Japanese restaurant in the Boston area where I eat on a regular basis.
I explained my new diet to the sushi chef and primary waiter and asked if
they would be willing to keep the bottle of g-f soy sauce that I had brought
with me there at the restaurant for me for the times I came in to eat.  They
were very glad to do that, and they now keep the soy sauce in the back and
bring it to my table when I arrive.  Not only that -- they were also very
interested in the details of a g-f diet and have been very accomodating and
helpful, especially when I need to ask how an entree or type of sushi is
prepared, ingredients that are used, etc.  (I came upon this idea through
the friend who introduced me to this restaurant; she keeps a bottle of saki
there, because the restaurant doesn't have a license to sell liquor.)

Doing this may work best with small restaurants where the staff knows you.
It has been wonderful for me, so I wanted to pass it along to the list.

Best regards,

Pat Shechter
Boston