From:
Rebecca Richardson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Jul 1998 11:35:40 -0500

Don't brand me a traitor, or e-mail to tell me why I'm wrong to feel this
way, but I am somewhat sympathetic to food manufacturers when it
comes to food labeling.  The labels are already difficult to read.  It is hard
to know how much more information they could cram on.
I have wondered, though, whether food manufacturers might be willing
to provide the information about product ingrediants celiacs need in
another format, for example, by posting the information to a website
dedicated to such information.  I think this might have some saleable
advantages, in that the manufacturers could post updated information
whenever ingredients were modified, without having to incur costs of
producing new labels.  Many would still be concerned about liability
issues, I am sure.  But I would think that manufacturers who have a
stable of suitable GF products might be interested in the "target
marketing" they could do by posting to the website.  And it might cut
down on the number of phone calls, letters, etc they must handle!
The principal problem with this approach would be reaching an
understanding as to what "GF" means, and I am sure many
manufacturers would be unwilling to participate unless such an
understanding existed.  I am new to this disease, but in the short period
of time I have been on this list, it has become obvious that celiacs
themselves can't agree.  Anyway, I think this is food for thought!