From:
Russ Paden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Sep 1998 15:34:50 -0700

I've noticed a lot of people on this list talk about having other food
sensitivities besides gluten/wheat, and how limited this makes their diets.
I know CD causes us to have "leaky guts" which can lead to further food
sensitivities, limiting already limited diets. Maybe this will help a few
of you.

According to Dr James Braly and Dr Stuart Berger, most food allergies can
be overcome through a rotation diet; only a small percentage are "fixed"
allergies in which the offending food can never be eaten. The best book I
have read on the subject is DR BRALY'S FOOD ALLERGY AND NUTRITION
REVOLUTION by James Braly MD (you can get it at a good price thru
amazon.com). I have no financial or other interest in this book, except
that it's helping me feel better!

The basic idea is this: find out which food or foods to which you have a
sensitivity (say, corn). Eliminate all sensitive foods for a 3-month
period. After that period you can reintroduce the sensitive food on a
rotating basis (except those that are fixed sensitivities, such as of
course gluten/wheat, and any others that you find you cannot tolerate at
all).

"On a rotating basis" means that you rotate the foods that you eat, on a
minimum of 4 days rotation. So you could have corn one day (several times
in one day if you want), but then you would not eat corn again for 4 days.
If you are a little more sensitive, it might be every 7 days rather than
every 4 days (you can find this out thru experimenting and keeping a
food/symptom diary). The idea is that your body can easily deal with an
allergen when it is in small amounts, and is not insulted with the allergen
repeatedly.

CAUTION: Some allergic foods, of course, you might be so sensitive to that
you cannot ever eat them, such as a person who might go into anaphylactic
shock if he eats a peanut. (I know a man whose face breaks out if he even
*smells* peanuts!) If your sensitivity is this severe, DO NOT try to eat
that food ever! Also, THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO GLUTEN; CD IS NOT AN ALLERGY.

So, the good news to celiacs is that if you are sensitive to other grains
like corn and rice, you might still be able to eat corn and rice if you
just don't eat too much or too often. Unlike gluten, these grains don't
actually damage your gut, so if you can eliminate the other bothersome
symptoms, you can eat them.

I hope this helps somebody out there to expand their limited diet a little
bit! This is NOT medical advice, I am NOT a medical expert, I am just
forwarding some information that has helped me personally.

Carma in Phoenix

PS: These experts believe that you can induce a food sensitivity,
especially in those with leaky guts, because you eat it too much or too
often; they recommend a rotating diet for all foods to avoid this
possibility.