From:
Ann Sokolowski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Oct 1998 20:18:05 -0400

It's interesting, that for most of us, the worst part of a celiac diet
is what can we eat for dessert or for the holidays.  That need not be,
Last week I posted that cornstarch can be substituted measure for
measure for cake flour.  I tried it in my old favorite brownie recipe
and it worked like a charm.  Although they were vacuumed in almost
immediately, I did manage to save a few pieces to see how they would
hold out.  It took almost 4 days for them to go stale.  I'm not going to
throw out the crumbs, though.  I'll save them to use in place of flour
in a crumb cake topping. (Old German Baker's trick--never use flour, use
cake crumbs or perhaps in a cookie crumb pie crust.

Just for fun, I picked up my copy of Nick Malgieri's book HOW TO BAKE
and looked thru to find recipes that are or could be gf.  I found over
30!!  Cakes, pies, tarts, pound cakes, cookies.  I'm not advocating
buying all new cookbooks.  Look thru your old favorites.  If a dessert
calls for cake flour or cornstarch, you know that cornstarch will work
just fine.  If it calls for all purpose flour, the cornstarch will
probably work, but you'll have to try it out.

So, not to despair.  The recipes are there, we just have to look at them
in a different light.

Ann
(off my soap-box and into the kitchen)