From:
"Susan K. DeVries" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Sep 1998 17:14:27 -0400

Thanks for the mobility tips and all of the food ideas.

* Hillshire farms (except fat free & light) smoked sausage is a regular
meal for us when I've had a long day. Ragu sauces, including All 5
Brothers sauces are GF. We love the Alfredo sauce.

*If you like Indian cuisine, you and your family could have fun boiling up
Tamarind Tree Indian dinners.  (The idea would be to make several at once
and then share.)  For more info on this food, try http://www.tamtree.com

Check the archives for gf Fantastic Foods items.  Another case in which
all you need is boiling water.

*Frozen gf waffles
Quesadillas on corn tortillas
Macariz (Rice "macaroni & cheese" product from Pasta riso)
BLTs on Crumpets
Scrambled or Fried Eggs with Jimmy Dean Sausage or gf bacon
Peanut Butter & Jelly on Crumpets
Baked Chicken (1 bottle of Annie's Naturals Roasted Red Pepper Salad
Dressing, 1 can of Trader Joe's Roasted Sweet Peppers and 2 packages of
chicken breasts roasted for an hour at 350)
Mary's Kitchen Hash
Spaghetti (Rice Pasta with Newman's Own Sockarooni or other gf spaghetti
sauce)
Baked Potato With Broccoli & Cheese
Campbell's Chicken & Rice Soup (Or if you want, brown some pork chops, put
in crock pot, add 2 cans of undiluted Chicken & Rice Soup and cook all
day)
Individual Pizzas on Crumpets

*get a walker

*meatloaf, cook on the grill, baked potatoes, fruit

*        Hamburger Casserole

Cook 1 cup of rice.
Brown 1 lb of hamburger in a large pot (I use a teflon wok). Drain.
Add the cooked rice to the browned hamburger. Stir in a 15oz can of
tomato sauce, 1 T of dried parsley, 1/2 T of Italian seasoning.
Heat through - add 1 cup shredded cheese

*I walked around the house with my left knee (the break was on my left
ankle) on the seat of a low chair.  Turn the chair around and put your
knee on the seat of the chair, and walk by moving the chair, with one or
both hands, in front of you.  You can stand at the stove or the kitchen
sink for quite awhile with your knee on the chair and the other foot and
leg supporting you as usual and your hands are freed to use for cutting,
stirring, chopping, washing etc.  It is a bit awkward, but it is better
than trying to work with both hands on crutches.

*work at the table, use the microwave, use an electric fry pan while you
cook, make waffles

*We enjoy baked potatoes with various toppings. This is an easy way to
accommodate varied food tolerances/preferences. Rice will fill the same
role.  Add some steamed vegetables, gf soy sauce and/or garlic and herbs,
and it's a meal.

You can put a few frozen chicken breasts into a bowl the night before, in
the fridge. They'll thaw during the day. Then microwave with a little rice
vinegar just until done, slice, add flavoring (soy sauce, mustard,
vinegar, honey, etc.) and with rice or pasta or baked potato, it's a meal.
Make double, add different flavorings the next night, or for lunch.

The above will also work with ground beef, grilled sausage (if you can
find it gf- I get a local one with no spices), or fancy hot dogs grilled.
Ragu spaghetti sauce is rumored to be gf, and I use it with no apparent
ill effects. Haven't researched it myself, but it was posted to this list
by a seemingly reliable source. Read the label, of course.

I also use Trader Joe's chicken broth to amke a nice soup. Sautee onion
and garlic in olive oil with a little butter. Add 2-3 Tbsp sweet white
rice flour, and stir gently over low heat until it's thick. Stir in two
cans broth, a little at a time. Add some salt if you like, then a main
ingredient:  steamed squash, canned corn, lots of garlic at the beginning
(we call it cream of garlic and eat it up with corn muffins in winter). A
few spoonfuls of cream at the end if your diet allows that kind of
indulgence.

*My contribution to your request for recipes is not exactly one recipe but
rather a menu planning tip. I recently found at Borders Books a new
cookbook for busy people who want family home meals called "The 7-day
cookbook" by Nemechek and Gerardi. The book defines: Monday is stir-fry
night, Tuesday is casserole night, Wednesday is soup or salad night,
Thursday is cook's choice, Friday is fun meals, Saturday is pasta night,
Sunday is family favorites.  The method is to pick an entree and then just
do easy side dishes to fill out the meal.

An idea for a soup is chili which could be served with corn tortillas.

An idea for a salad is a rice salad following the basic recipe:  3 cups
cooked rice, 1 1/2 cups chopped raw vegetables, 1 1/2 cups chopped cooked
meat, 1/2 to 1 cup salad dressing of your choice.  This could be served
with store-bought breads or crackers.

*cook *WHOLE FOODS*. Yep, baked broiled chicken, fish, turkey with side
dishes of rice, steamed veggies fresh salads... no sauces, seasonings (or
only known safe ones on the counter).

*eat GF breakfast cereals, make a very detailed shopping list is nonceliac
is shopping for you

*Chicken (or turkey) dinner:

Prep chicken (wash, sprinkle with your choice of seasonings) - if you
want, throw an apple or two that are too bruised to eat, or oranges, or
grapefruit - in the cavity - it will keep the bird from getting dry.  Wash
potatoes, cut in half and dump the chicken into a foil lined pan, with the
potatoes around it.  Roast at 400 until you can wiggle the leg and it
moves easily.  Accompany with a salad, or any other easy veggie.  If you
dump a veggie that needs to be cooked in an oven safe covered dish with
some water and let it steam, the only thing that you need to turn on is
the oven.

Crock pot chili:

Combine fresh ground meat (beef, chicken, turkey), tomato sauce, onion and
garlic (use a food processor to cut up finely) add salt to taste and
basil, a pinch of cumin, and oregano (chili peppers if you like them)
cover and plug in, and let her cook - stirring every hour or so.  When the
meat had cooked through, add your choice of beans (I like pinto and great
northern, some people use kidney).

Oven rice:

Combine 1 c rice with 1 3/4 cups water (can double, triple, etc), add
whatever seasonings you like (hot peppers, or substitute broth for the
water, or onions and garlic, or small cut veggies).  Cover and cook in a
400 degree oven until all the liquid is absorbed.  Can add cut up pieces
of leftover chicken or turkey for a one dish meal.

*I cook brown rice up and then keep it in the refrigerator to heat up as
needed.  The gluten free cookie jar has some rather edible gf bread so you
won't have to bake called Primo white bread.  Their phone no.
1-888-458-8360.  They also have very good cookies if you need some treats
for the holidays.

*If you have the Bette Hagman books, try the Singapore hot pot.  In a
nutshell, cook some ground meat (any kind) and add some garlic powder.
Add some chopped carrots and cook.  Add some rice, enough chicken stock to
properly cook the rice, and 1/4 soy sauce.  Simmer until rice is done (20
minutes after bringing to a boil).  Add some frozen peas (or any frozen
vegetables) and maybe some chopped up candied ginger, cook until frozen
vegetables are warm.  Feeds anyone and amounts can be adjusted as needs
be.

*Put a piece of swiss cheese and a piece of sliced ham on a boneless,
skinless chicken breast.  Roll up and secure with a toothpick.  Place
several of these uncovered in a 350 degreee oven for 30 to 45 minutes.  To
go with this, I have tossed salad and the Lipton Rice & sauce (original
long grain and wild rice).

*  LSU Chili

1lb canned or homemade chili or other soup, stew
       or beans, especially Louisiana red beans
3 c cooked rice (from one cup raw)

Heat chili. Scoop rice into bottom of 4 bowls.
Ladle chili  over rice. Top with optional grated cheddar cheese
and/ or chopped onions. To complete the meal, serve
with corn tortillas and raw carrots.

*when you cook make enough for two meals a reheat the next day