From:
Doug Tyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Jul 1998 12:18:54 -0400

My original question:

    Suppose, just suppose, you were eating out with friends or an
informal business luncheon. Stating to your server your Celiac
condition, and after numerous trips to the chef, you have the grilled
salmon on white rice with roasted vegetables. No bread, no butter, etc.
Was this a gluten-free choice?
    And suppose you knew there was a fabulous (wheat-free, flourless)
Chocolate Torte for dessert, containing merely eggs, good-quality
bittersweet chocolate, sugar and butter. These are known facts, from the
pastry chef. They are all the facts you know. Do you, with the knowledge
you have and with your determination to remain gluten-free, order the
dessert?

SUMMARY:

Thanks to one and all for your responses, concerns, support and empathy.
A special thanks to those with information regarding restaurants in the
Virginia Beach, VA area and for the wonderful fellow celiacs lurking
here on my doorstep!! Now I don't feel so all alone and am grateful for
the newfound companionship.

Of the 35 responses, there were:

    24 "yes, have the meal/absolutely/enjoy every bite" responses;
    4 "with lots of questions to the waiter/hope, faith, confidence in
the restaurant/with extreme caution" responses;
    2 "only if you trust the establishment/practice "Defensive Dining"
    4 "no/too risky/bad personal experiences/never eat out" responses.

I ate this exact meal at Todd Jurich's Bistro in downtown Norfolk, VA
and had absolutely no reaction. I have eaten there on three separate
occasions in the 4 months since diagnosis and have had great rapport
with the waitstaff and interaction with the chefs. And, yes, I did talk
with the pastry chef and get the recipe!! (No flour in the dusting:
cocoa powder.) My question was prompted by my concern as to whether I
was becoming "loose" with my choices and taking too many chances. I am
an optimist and shall, therefore, take the "eat out with knowledge,
caution, and some sense of adventure" road. That holds true for eating
at home and out in the world.

My sincere apologies again to the listmember who felt my hypothetical
question inappropriate. At this juncture in my healing process, and not
knowing any fellow celiacs in the area at the time, I turned to the
Celiac listmembers for confirmation/advice/support.

On a pleasant closing note, as a result of this post, we hope to find
enough fellow celiacs in this area to establish a support group! Thanks
to you all.

Good Health & Good Eating!!
Glenda Tyler, Virginia Beach, VA