From:
Deni Hansen-Gray Weber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Sep 1998 13:55:09 -0500

Perhaps I wrote too soon.  I just realized that although Lucy's petiton is
very thorough in the ingredient listing aspect - it does not address the
cross contamination/manufacuturing proccesses that also add gluten (and
other offenders) to foods.  These would *not* be listed as ingredients.
So, in effect, we would only be getting half a cow.  (Half a soy burger for
you vegans.)

If you are so inclined as to "tyo", (type your own) you could add a blurb
that because of reactions to minute amounts of allergens injested label
should be required to list specific allergens that foods are exposed to
during manufacturing and processing.  i.e.; a label for dates must declare
that they are dusted with oat flour during processing. - pick a process
that affects you.  Any process as an example.  The more the better!  Wheat
flour on conveyor belts, etc.

That should help cover all the bases.

As I said, feel free to add your own concerns to this.  It is *your*
petition.  You are not signing anyone elses.  It's *yours*!  Say what you
need to.

deni

(hopefully for the last time for a while)

Steve Weber,

"It is impossible for a man to learn what he  thinks he already knows." --
Epictetus