From:
William Elkus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Aug 1998 20:17:29 -0400

Don Kasarda of the USDA, a frequent contributor to celiac publications and to
this List, forwarded the following abstract which implies that peanut proteins
may be found in peanut oil.  While this has a direct interest for those with
peanut allergies, it has an indirect interest for Celiacs --- does this mean
that oils prepared from toxic grains (not peanuts, but wheat germ oil, e.g.)
may contain enough protein to cause harm to a Celiac?  Don had the following
to say:

>If there are 0.2 micrograms per gram of protein in the oil (the units are
>not completely clear in the abstract, but I think they are giving
>micrograms), then I calculate that 1000 g (which is approximately a liter)
>of oil will contain 0.2 mg of protein.  In terms of celiac disease, this is
>probably a negligible amount since we are assuming that 10 mg of gliadin per
>day would probably not cause a problem for most celiac patients.  However,
>because we know that there are some people exquisitely allergic/sensitive to
>peanut allergens, I suppose there may be enough of the peanut proteins in
>peanut oil to cause such people difficulties.

I also asked him whether by analogy it is a bad idea for those with milk
allergies to use milk "oils" … i.e. butter or ghee, as my son has a milk
allergy in addition to CD.  His comment:

>In the case of your son, it is difficult to say.  I will take a guess that
>there are many people who are allergic to some component of milk
>(lactalbumin, casein, etc.) yet can tolerate the levels we are talking
>about.  Another aspect is--which proteins show up in oils?  Probably not all
>proteins and certainly not equally. This will depend on the hydrophobic
>character of the proteins and peptides involved.

>When you get to the extreme Type I hypersensitivity reactions (IgE
>modulated) that can kill some people (proteins from peanuts, bee stings,
>etc.), it is another matter, but such people are pretty rare, fortunately.

Here is the abstract itself:

 TITLE:          Isolation and characterization of proteic allergens in
                 refined peanut oil (Article, English)
 AUTHOR:         Olszewski, A; Pons, L; Moutete, F; Aimone-Gastin, I;
                 Kanny, G; Moneret-Vautrin, DA; Gueant, JL
 SOURCE:         CLINICAL AND EXPERIMENTAL ALLERGY 28 (7). 1998.
                 p.850-859 BLACKWELL SCIENCE LTD, OXFORD

 ABSTRACT:       Allergic reactions to peanut oil are very much debated,
 even if the responsibility of peanut oil has been evoked in several cases
 of adverse reactions, including death related to severe asthma. The aim
 of the present study was to investigate the presence of allergenic
 proteins in peanut oil. Proteins were extracted from commercial refined
 peanut oil, with a relative content in the order of 0.1-0.2 mu g per g of
 oil, and molecular sizes ranging from 14 up to 76 kDa in SDS-PAGE, Eight
 protein bands were systematically observed in crude, neutralized and
 refined oils, with a molecular mass ranging from approximate to 14 to 76
 kDa, including one at 18 kDa which was identified by Western blot
 performed with serum from two allergic patients. The protein extract gave
 positive IgE-RIA with patient sera, positive in vitro leucocyte histamine
 release tests and positive skin-prick tests in allergic patients. The
 allergenic protein was purified by HPLC and [I-125] iodide-labelled. It
 had an isoelectric point at 4.5 in isoelectrofocusing. In conclusion, we
 have demonstrated the presence of allergenic proteins in crude and
 refined peanut oil. These proteins are the same size as two allergens
 previously described in peanut protein extracts.

 AUTHOR ADDRESS: JL Gueant, Univ H Poincare Nancy, Fac Med, Lab Cellular &
                 Mol Biol Nutr, CNRS,EP 616, BP 184, F-54505 Vandoeuvre
                 Nancy, France

Bill Elkus
Los Angeles