From:
Simone Pratte <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 May 1998 10:29:19 -0400

I want to thank all of you who responded to my request for GF salad
dressings and BBQ sauce. The replies and suggestions I received amazed me.

Before I summarize, quite a few of you did mention Kraft BBQ sauce and
salad dressings as being GF.  I tried Kraft’s Original BBQ sauce over the
week-end and within an hour of ingesting it, I had gut pain, cramping and
gas.  The only ingredients, that I can see, that could possibly have given
me problems were vinegar, caramel color, soybean oil and artificial flavor.
  I tried calling Kraft’s at two different numbers and had no luck.

My summary is as follows and I list them in the order of preference by most
of you.

BBQ SAUCE:

KC Masterpeice BBQ Sauce (GF according to the manufacturer all except Honey
Teriyaki and Roasted Garlic Herb)

Lee & Perrins BBQ sauces

Healthy Choice Hickory, Original and Hot & Spicy (listed 1/97 by he CSA/USA
guide)

Cattlemen’s brand, most but not all, checked 6/95

Open Pit BBQ Sauce Original and Open Pit BBQ Sauce Thick and Tangy Original
are GF

GF Pantry sells a delicious GF BBQ sauce

Someone mentioned that she uses Hunt's BBQ sauce and has no problems with it

This was also suggested:  “Enricque's of Syracuse (or Enrico's) makes a
gluten-free, sugar-free (instead, raw honey), apple-cider vinegar catsup,
available in health food stores. This would be a good base for gf barbecue
sauce. Also, there may be other BBQ-type products in the Enrique's line.

SALAD DRESSINGS:

Hellmann’s salad dressings and mayonnaise are GF

Wishbone, S&W, and Hain (listed by the CSA/USA guide)

Hidden Valley Ranch dressings, checked 12/96

Cardinis Italian & Original Caesar

Chelton House 1000 Island, Balsamic, House Blue Cheese, House Bunch of
Herbs, House Chef’s Creamy Cucumber, House Onion Chive, House Vinaigrette

Kraft Calorie-Wise, Low Fat Catalina and Ranch, Kraft Herb dressings:
Creamy Cucumber Dill, Garden Tomato with Basil, Red Wine Vinegar & Thyme,
Sundried Tomato with Basil

Someone sent this recipe along:
        “I have found that I can make 'light dressing' by replacing half the oil
w/water & xanthan gum-- Usually a recipe will call for 1 c. oil. I blend
1/2 c. cold water w/ 1/2 tsp. xanthan gum in a blender to mix well. Then
add oil & remaining ingredients. Might be a solution.”

This was also suggested:  “For salad dressing, mix extra-virgin olive oil
with apple cider vinegar and water. For variety, add some Stoneyfield Farms
natural yogurt. Hellmann's Real Mayonnaise is gluten free (I don't know
about the other CPC products, including salad dressing and diet products.).
Be careful with spices. Add them one at a time and check your reactions.
Some celiacs are sensitive to spices.

Before I close, I do want to say that someone suggested Bette Haggman’s
crumpets for lunch a week or so ago.  I made them and they were just
wonderful.  I toast them in the morning for english muffins and I added her
onion soup mix to some and use these for my hamburger rolls.

This group has been a blessing to me.  Many thanks to all of you.