From:
"Mary R." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Mar 1998 19:40:03 -0500

I picked up a copy of Betty Hagman's latest cookbook and picked up on
something I haven't seen on the list in the month I've been on.  I searched
the archives and the latest entry was Feb. 1997.  The topic is the rectal
challenge test as a means of diagnosis.

For those who don't know, a gluten/saline solution is injected into the rectum.
Biopsies are taken before and after 4 to 6 hours.  An increase in 10% or
more lymphocytes is taken as a positive sign of CD.  The nice thing is that
it doesn't require going back on a gluten diet for 4 to 6 months.  What I'm
wondering is how accurate is it?  It sounds as good as anything else, maybe
better?

Does anyone have personal or professional experience with this to bring us
up to date on this test?

Thanks-

Mary R.