From:
mary elliott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jun 1998 21:24:14 -0700

    I am sorry to have taken so long with this summary, but I have
been travelling and just got back today. My thanks to all who
responded to my request for information.
     1) ARIZONA. In my opinion, by far the best of the readily
available bottled beverages. When I called their 800 number, their
representative immediately said ALL Arizona drinks are GF. When I
asked how she could be so sure, she replied, "You're not the first
person to call about this. We get about two or three calls a month
about gluten, so we were very careful to check." The celiac community
at work! Try their Green Tea with Ginseng, very good.
     2) SNAPPLE. When I called, the customer representative said all
their natural flavors and therefore beverages were GF. This is not
quite true, since a few weeks ago, Snapple introduced a new line of
fruit SMOOTHIES which contain wheatgrass, and are definitely NOT GF.
     3) NANTUCKET NECTARS. Several people reported problems with
these. Nobody, so far, has contacted the compnay to enquire about the
gluten content.
     4) MISTIC (sic). Several people reported problems with these,
too. I have not been able to get in touch with them, but what can you
expect of a company that doesn't even know how to spell its own name?
     5) TAZO teas. Highly recommended by one person, but I haven't
seem them in NYC.
     6) SoBe drinks, including Oolong Tea. Recommended, but I haven't
found them in NYC.
     7) REED'S GINGER BEER, in two strengths. GF and said to be very
good, but can be hard to find.
      Several people said that any problems might be a reaction to the
high fructose corn syrup, which apparently many people find hard to
digest.
      That may well be so, but I have problems with some Snapple
drinks, and yet do fine with Arizona, and they are both sweetened with
corn syrup. Whatever happened to good old plain sugar, anyway?
                          Regards to all,
                                  Mary in NYC