From:
Sharon Brucato <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Mar 1998 23:56:44 -0800

Those with CD have been blessed with extra kindness and intelligence.
Thanks for the thoughtful replies to my query whether a child with CD and
DH should receive the chicken pox vaccine.

I received 12 replies; three recommended the shot, one suggesting allergy
medicine to counteract egg intolerance from the vaccine's base; another
advised a search for a homeopathic version of the vaccine.

The majority recommended against the vaccine because those with CD are
immunocompromised.  Vaccines overburden our systems, leaving us less able
to fight unexpected illnesses.  Most stated that CD sufferers experience no
serious effects from contracting chicken pox as compared to the general
population.

The National Vaccine Information Center (www.909shot.com; 800-909-SHOT)
serves as an impartial reference for vaccine information.  Another resource
is VZV Research Foundation at 800-472-8478, or Dept. BN, 40 E. 72nd St, NY
10021.

To ease the itching of chicken pox, the following remedies were suggested:

Rhux Tox, a homeopathic pill placed under the tongue every two hours,
resulting in smaller pox, faster healing, no scars and no itching.  Rhux
Tox was suggested for any hive-like condition.

Calendula ointment pasted on each pox.  This is a soothing extract from
marigolds formulated in a Vaseline-like base.  Calendula ointment was
reported to be good for winter skin conditions, also.

Grape seed extract, diluted, as a natural antihistamine.

Epsom salt in bath water, or bicarbonate of soda in bath water or as a
shake-on powder.

Three other remedies were suggested (FelsNaptha, Itch Stopping Gel, and
Benadryl), but their GF status is not confirmed.

I will contact both immunization resources listed above and will research
Rhus Tox and Calendula ointment.  If you are interested in my findings,
please send me an e-mail.

Many thanks to all you kind souls on behalf of my two-year old son.