From:
Carol Lydick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Apr 1998 13:24:58 EDT

Thank you to all of you who answered my post about Libbys canned
products.  Libbys is a subdivision of Nestles Company.  Several people had
told
me that there products were not gluten free, so I called and then waited until
they sent me an official list in case there had been changes.  The list
arrived
and it referred to S & W canned goods, not Libbys.  I called them after
receiving the list and they informed me that the product was the same as
Libbys, only the label was changed.

I learned several interesting things that I will pass along to the list.
The first is that the woman I spoke to said that she could not give me
any information on a product unless she had the number stamped on the
end of the can (a raised number in the metal).  I asked her if the
products varied, even though the label was the same and she again
repeated that she could not tell me what was in the can without the
number, which did not answer my question directly, but lead me to
believe it did vary from can to can.  This is a problem we need to
address with the FDA labeling.

The second red flag was that she told me was that the FDA regulations did
not require that they tell customers about any ingredient they used in
the product that was less than one percent.  I informed her that one
percent of gluten or soy, was 1 percent too much for my body to handle.  She
began to get snippy and again repeated that by law she did not have to
tell me.  I then informed her that in the case of my grandson, had the
ingredient been peanut or for another friend, soy, it could kill
them not to know what was in that one percent, and we would hold them
responsible.  She then said very sternly.  "Okay what is it you want to
know"  and I repeated that I wanted to know if any gluten or soy was
used in the hidden ingredients, including that one percent.  She told me
"No, we don't use those ingredients."  It was a difficult conversation
and I am sorry that it was necessary to get tough to get an answer.
I thanked her for her understanding.  I DO NOT BELIEVE THAT THIS ONE
REPRESENTATIVE REFLECTS THE WHOLE COMPANY AND I THINK THAT THEY MAY HAVE
MANY GOOD PRODUCTS FOR CELIACS TO USE.

The information lists mostly corn syrup as the hidden ingredient or
natural flavors in all the fruits, including sugar free fruits.  Pickled beets
had gluten in the vinegar, all varieties. Malt ale vinegar, Terriyaki Cooking
Sauce & Marinade, Lite Teriyaki Cooking Sauce, Fajitas & Southwestern Cooking
Sauce, Mesquite Cooking sauce and Oriental Stir Fry & Cooking Sauce all
contain gluten.

All there other canned Fruit, Beans, Vegetables, Tomatoes, Condiments, Juice,
Salad Dressings, Rice, Seafood, Olives Glace Coffee, and Shoestring Potatoes
packed by Libbys or S & W are said to be GLUTEN FREE.