From:
Ron Hoggan1 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Mar 1998 13:40:43 +0000

Hi All,
I have recently been informed that there really is such a thing as
transient gluten intolerance. Dr. Horvath was kind enough to send me
a private post correcting my error.

Although I cannot find a copy of the post I sent, I gather I used
some rather strong language to indicate that gluten intolerance cannot be
transient..  I have previously had the distinct impression that once
a celiac, always a celiac, but Dr. Horvath says that may not be true.

He also  cautioned me about saying "never," and if I did use that
word, I sincerely apologize. That is the very attitude that I want to
oppose.  I view an open mind as a critical feature of  scientific
advance.

In future, I will try to be more careful about the use of absolute
terms.

Finally, I would like to say that I do not mean to criticize doctors
in general. That has never been my intent. Most doctors are
dedicated, caring people who really ought to know more about celiac
disease.

Sincerely,
Ron Hoggan