From:
Joan Nurczyk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jun 1998 07:59:55 EDT

I have recently returned to this list, after being overwhelmed by the amount
of mail and off for awhile.  I was diagnosed as allergic to wheat about 25
years ago and have followed a wheat free diet since then.  I was apparently
healthy and symptom free until about four years ago.  I tried all kinds of
self treatment to no avail and 2 ½ years ago was diagnosed as celiac by
biopsy.  I researched the diet through the web, this list, and by joining a
number celiac support groups.  My doctor and I are both satisfied that I am
following a gluten free diet.

Here's the problem.  I did better for about two months and going gluten free
as opposed to wheat free, but then all the symptoms returned and stayed.  The
biopsy was repeated about three months ago and showed that the condition of my
intestine has not improved at all.  The doctor prescribed a course of
treatment with Prednizone, which I finished last Tuesday.  During the
treatment, I felt wonderful and was completely free of symptoms.  I gained
weight and have been enjoying life without being "bathroom dependent".  I was
fine on Tuesday and Wednesday, but by Thursday the symptoms started to come
back.  I am writing this between trips to the bathroom and am feeling very
bummed out.  I will be calling the doctor today.

It seems like most people on this list respond very well to the diet, although
I know from my research that some people don't.  Has anyone else had this
problem and been treated with Prednizone or other drugs?  Is it a life long
thing or something that will eventually allow the gut to heal.

Joan
Lombard IL