From:
David J Walland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Mar 1998 12:05:46 +0000

Can I confirm that the method I was taught for cooking rice
(by a Gujarat lady) is, for two people 200 mls (yes volume
measure!!) of white long grain rice into 260 mls of water.
Add salt to taste and a small amount of ghee (I use cooking
oil - about a half teaspoon).  Bring to the boil, stir,
turn down to the lowest setting you can manage on your
cooker ring/jet put a lid on and cook for 10 minutes.  The
rice should now be exactly perfect, having absorbed all the
liquid.  If you want the grains to separate properly for a
rice salad etc, then rinse through with hot water before
cooling.  Once the rice is cooked, it begins to stick to
the bottom of the pan, so it must not be overcooked.

Brown rice takes a while longer than polished white rice.
I would normally expect about twice as long, but this
varies a lot with different rice suppliers.

I don't have any of my US conversion information
immediately to hand, so I can't convert that to fluid
ounces but the measure is 0.42 of a (US) pint of rice and
0.55 pints of water (this information from my ancient HP45
calculator).

While we're discussing rice, I recently got some glutinous
rice flour from my local Chinese supermarket.  Has anyone
tryed using this to replace gluten in baking?  I'd be
interested in any tips and information that anyone can give
me and whether this has been successful for anyone else.

Regards

David J Walland
University of Bristol Radiation Protection Adviser
Tel +44 (0)117 928 8323
Fax +44 (0)117 929 1209