Date:
Fri, 27 Mar 1998 04:34:07 -0400

Thanks to all those who replied to my question about constipation! I received
over 25 responses!  Apparently for about 20% of celiacs, constipation is the
primary sympton! - which makes it harder to diagnose since many doctors look
for diarrhea. Many responded that staying on a GF diet is the best solution.

1.  Try to ingest 20 grams of fiber (adult) daily.

2.  Drink: lots of water, especially water heated in the microwave. (My
grandfather used to do this every morning - for the same reason!)
Coffee helps, probably because it is hot
applle juice with 1 tsp of metamucil
Warm prune juice

3.  Eat: lots of fresh vegetables and fruits (instead of frozen or
canned since the processing destroys the fiber), especially prunes, figs,
raisins, sunflower seeds, cooked beets, corn, nuts (esp. macademias and brazil
nuts), broccolli,  unsweetened applesauce, small amount of beans every day,
popcorn! ,  two salads per day
Natural licorice (Try GF/gelatin free from Memory Lane Confectionery, a new
company in Adelaide Australia (www.confectionery.on.net) They make the flavor
from the actual liquorice root juice itself.

4.  Limit the amount of binding foods: white rice, bananas, dairy
products, a meat, sugar, corn syrup, chocolate, potatoes, and gelatin.

5.  Laxatives:  Metamucil (may take a week of daily doses to work
well), Milk of Magnesia (unflavored is supposed to be GF), Fibercon, bowel
softener (Lactulose), baking soda and water, slippery elm powder, flaxseed
oil (or ground seeds put on cereal or added to bread recipes), teaspoon of
psyllium hushs in a glass of juice.

6.  Vitamins:  good vitamin program: B6, B12 with folic acid, calcium,
biotin

7.  To increase peristalsis  (Sometimes this problem is referred to
as chronic idiopathic constipation): Start with 50 mg. of manganese and
increase to 100 grams (This was recommended by the person's doctor).  Natural
sources include: blueberries, ginger, rice, eggs, green vegetables, legumes,
nuts, and bananas (Prescription for Nutritional Healing by Balch & Balch)
Triphala ( a herbal concoction which strengthens the muscles)

8.  Biofeedback (no information about where to learn about this)

After reading all the replies, I think I have probably ingested some
gluten accidentally. However, my stools are not usually hard or dry; they are
soft when they come. I was intrigued with the "chronic idiopathic
constipation" reference. I have never heard of this, but I think this may be
my real problem. Also, I think that my emotions sometimes cause me problems.
Whenever something traumatic happens, I seem to just shut down. I'll post
another question on this and see what comes up.

What can I say? You folks have probably saved my life. Without you
and reading your posts daily, I think I would just give in and EAT everything.
Your warmth and compassion are so refreshing in today's crowded, but lonely,
busy world!

Note: I have no connection with any of the products listed above. They were
just suggestions from fellow celiacs.

Thanks,   Aloma from Texas