Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 9 Jun 1998 16:40:25 EDT
From:
Cher Marshall <[log in to unmask]>

I am referring to the Elaine Gotschall book,"Breaking the Vicious Cycle,
Intestinal Health Through Diet".

Apparently this book and perhaps her previous book, "Food and the Gut
Reaction", were discussed on this list some time ago.  Comments are available
in the Archives (which I have not yet been able to access!)  It was suggested
by a couple of people that the medical community was not in favour of this
type of diet for celiac disease.

The following are comments by others, mainly Canadians, since the book was
published in Canada.

I tried the diet.  I ran into a little trouble with the nut bread.  It was so
high in fat from the nuts and butter that I began to have some problems -
probably because I pigged out on it.  .....I did find the diet a little
restrictive (I also love potatoes), so I use it in conjunction with the celiac
diet.

My husband tried the diet for a month, and lost a great deal of weight.  I
would not recommend it.  It is also expensive buying the nuts for the bread.

I have Elaine Gotschall's book which I started with a while back.  A book that
actually helped me more than this one is "Eat Right for your Type" by Dr.
Peter D'Adamo.  I too could not get completely well on a gluten free diet
alone, but shortly after combining the diet described in this book with a GF
diet, I found myself in glowing health.  D'Adamo says that foods respond
differently to the chemistry of  different blood types.  .......

My wife followed Elaine Gottschall's diet from her earlier (1987) book, "Food
and the Gut Reaction" with good results.  She did this for a few months, then
gradually expanded her diet to include more foods (per the author's
recommendations).  I believe the author does an excellent job of explaining
digesting/healing problems/solutions.  It is a good base diet, but keep a food
and symptom log (was one of her suggestions) and don't eat things that bother
you even if listed on the ok list.

I have this book and am also very intrigued by it.  I have incorporated some
of the recipes into my daughter's diet but am afraid of putting her fully on
the diet as she has very unstable diabetes as well as celiac.  If it were me
that had celiac I would be on the diet like yesterday.  It makes sense to me
and definitely worth a shot; there are some people that are really helped, but
I suppose not everybody...........I initially started reading this book
because my daughter is not responding as well as we had hoped to the gf diet.

I am not a fan of the book......thanks to the celiac, I am severely dairy
intolerant, and even though she swears the yogurt you make yourself is free of
all dairy irritants, that was not the case for me.  I had a TERRIBLE reaction
to the yogurt and it is a whole, horrible bunch of trouble to make it as well.
The other premise of eating all those nuts is extremely fattening and not
really a good idea from a digestive standpoint.  I have never heard any of the
celiac doctors on this list or elsewhere state that celiac can be "cured" in
an adult form; the author holds that out as a probability if you follow her
diet.  I think that is really deplorable misinformation on her part.

I have heard of the book and reviewed it.  It is broadbased and works well for
Crohns and Colitis patients, as well as very sensitive Celiac patients.  A
friend of mine went on the diet to cure herself of Crohns after the doctors
and medicines could not help her any more.  My husband is the celiac in the
family and read the book, but felt it was too restrictive for him, as he can
eat some of the foods they recommend staying away from.

My mom read the book you mentioned, and tried to follow the diet for a while.
She is diagnosed with Crohns disease.  It is a very restrictive diet and is
very hard to follow.  It did help her symptoms while she was on the diet, but
did not cure her.

So - inconclusive at best!  I discussed the book with my GI, for whom I have
the utmost respect, and he was not at all in favour of the diet.  Needless to
say, I myself did not pursue it!  My problems are far from solved, and
obviously some of us don't do as well on a GF diet as others - but we keep on
looking for solutions!  Cherry Marshall in N.J.