From:
lowell & candice <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Feb 1998 09:02:15 -0800

Hello Everyone,

Thank you for responding so quickly to my querry about Flex Account
reimbursements for celiac disease.  I also received many E-mails from
persons interested in my posting a summary to my question.

1. For those persons who regularly use Flex Accounts for this purpose,
each person submitted a letter or note from their physician stating that
they had a medical condition in which a GF diet was medically
necessary, as well as the diagnosis. One person had their claim rejected
when he had included only comments of his own about celiac disease, so
the note/letter from the doctor is very important.  Also, several persons
submitted this letter/note from the physician EACH TIME they submitted a
claim; one person said she only submitted the physician letter the first
time she submitted a claim. (My own personal choice would be to submit it
each and everytime a claim is submitted, since we all know that insurance
companies can loose things, not to forget that many people work on
claims.)

2. One person wrote that with Flex Accounts you are "allowed
reimbursement for anything that you could get a tax deduction for", so
you would need to submit receipts claiming the difference between regular
and GF costs, and for those items to which there is no comparable item
(such as xanthan gum), you can claim the entire cost.

3. Another person wrote that she submitted food receipts from the health
food store as well as milage to the doctor.  Yet aanother person wrote
that she was more selective in what she turned in, since the difference
between comparable items were not always that much of a difference in
cost to warrant the trouble of finding the cost difference between
comparable items, etc., therefore, the items she submitted were for those
items in which there were no comparable items, but actually necessary
items for GF cookings such as Clear Jell, xanthun gum, GF flours.

I hope this is helpful information for those of us whi have Flex Accounts
through employers.  AND REMEMBER TO KEEP A XEROX COPY OF EVERYTHING YOU
SUBMIT TO THGE FLEX ACCOUNT FOLKS.  THEY DO LOOSE THINGS!

Candice in California