From:
Hal Grotevant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Jul 1998 16:25:38 -0500

Dear Listmembers, I just returned from my travels in Italy and Switzerland.
Warm thanks to all who provided suggestions. I'd like to underscore a few
and make a few other observations. Here are several I'd like to emphasize:
*Don't count on the airlines coming through with GF food, even if you
ordered it. (I know, this has been said before.) Northwest Airlines and KLM
deserve about a C-, in my book. In two "GF" meals, I received mostly GF food
along with crackers! In another "GF" meal on KLM, I received a sandwich!
When I pointed this out to the flight attendant, she was apologetic and
found me some fruit, but then she asked me "What is gluten?" I will be
writing the airlines to suggest that they beef up the training for their
flight attendants and cooks. Some of the meals I didn't receive until I
asked for them specifically. Anyway, be prepared with your own provisions,
or be prepared to wait it out.

*Do beware of pickpockets. We were approached by 3 girls (ages approx. 9-12)
in the piazza only 100 yards from the Duomo (main cathedral) in Florence in
broad daylight. They put a big piece of cardboard with writing on it on top
of  my traveling partner's hands and then were beginning to rifle through
her purse, but we were prepared for this and shouted "get away!" They left
and then proceeded to approach others immediately.

*The gluten-free biscuits produced by Schaer are indeed good! As suggested,
I found them in the Farmacia (drug store), although on the bottom shelf
gathering dust! (The freshness date on the bottom of the box was ok,
however.) They were a life saver at breakfast, where the only food provided
was, you guessed it, rolls. I plan to find some in the States. Read the
package carefully, however. The first package I picked up (Fette Tostate)
had wheat as an ingredient. The one I bought (Fette biscottate) is clearly
labeled gluten-free.

*As others suggested, risotto was a good meal, as was the "Capri Salad" or
"Insalate Caprese" - which had tomatoes, mozarella cheese, and basil. I ate
that at several meals.

*General travel tips: Next time, I will take a travel vest with lots of
pockets and/or pants or shorts with lots of pockets. Shorts were commonly
worn, although people were not permitted into the St. Peter's or the Sistine
Chapel (at the Vatican) with shorts or bare shoulders. Come prepared.
Credit cards were not as readily accepted in Italy as in Switzerland. Most
places only wanted to take them for large purchases. Lines were long: 1.5 -
2 hours to get into the Uffizi Gallery (even late afternoon) and 1 hour to
see the "real" David in the Accademia in Florence.

The trip was wonderful, and staying GF was not stressful (once out of the
airplanes). If you have the chance to go, do it and enjoy! I can't wait to
return. Pre-trip reading: "Under the Tuscan Sun" - currently at the
bookstores. I forgot the author; my copy is already lent out.
Again, thanks to all for the extremely helpful suggestions.
Hal Grotevant          St. Paul, Minnesota USA
Harold D. Grotevant             [log in to unmask]
Prof. of Family Social Science          (612) 624-3756
Univ. of Minnesota,  1985 Buford Ave., St. Paul, MN 55108
http://fsos.che.umn.edu/hgrotevant/grotevant.html