From:
T Pigeon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Mar 1998 23:20:09 -0500

First, thanks for all the info and encouragement!

My original question was: how many of you are eating quinoa/oats with no
obvious problems? I was also fishing for some suggestions on homemade bread.

I had about 30 responses. Some people had not tried either quinoa or
oatmeal since going GF, others had with problems, and some are able to eat
one or both with no problems.
Here is the breakup:
Eats quinoa, no problems: 8
Doesn't eat quinoa: 2
Eats oats, no problems: 2
Doesn't eat oats: 8
Won't eat either: 8

gluten - that is a fact.  If you continue eating both, you are doing damage
if you are a celiac."

Many people brought up the issue of cross-contamination of either product,
and to be careful there.

About bread:
My question was purposefully very vague... I just looking for good bread.
2 recommendations for Zojirushi V-20 breadmaker
2 recommendations for Welbilt breadmaker
1 recommendation for Regal breadmaker
1 recommendation for Westbend Bakery Style breadmaker
4 recommendations for Gluten Free Pantry bread mixes
1 recommendation for Food for Life Rice Almond bread

Several people pointed out that you don't need a breadmaker for good bread.
Along those lines, 4 people praised the Kitchenaid Mixer (with bread
paddle) for making your own oven bread.

For pasta (I stated I love the quinoa pasta), some folks spoke highly of
Pastariso and DeBole.

---
Here's some additional extracted info from the msgs I received:

I get my quinoa from a company called Northern Quinoa in Kamsack, SK (where,
you say?).  They process the quinoa to remove the bitter tasting coating -
saporin, I think it's called.  This means that I can grind it in my flour
mill as well as cook it.  They only process quinoa so there is no possibility
of cross-contamination.

>If you're really a pasta freak, De Roma foods sells some fantastic pastas
>(and other gf foods) by mail order.  You can check out their on-line
>catalog at http://www.cosmo2000.ca/deroma/liste_en.html

>Ancient Harvest Quinoa Pasta certifies their corn-quinoa pasta to be
>gluten-free and this seems to be true. ...

My greatest discovery has been a newfound access to Thai Rice Noodles (not
the thin string noodles one finds in the grocery made from rice or mung
bean but actual wide noodles).  These are excellent and have the texture of
pasta that I found lacking in the quinoa pasta.

teresa in raleigh, nc