From:
Bill Elkus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Jan 1998 14:48:43 -0700

I have made a number of previous posts about the use of barley enzymes in
the prepration of certain rice products.  Rice Dream by Imagine Foods is
the most frequently cited example of this issue, as there is no warning of
the barley issue from reading their ingredients label.  I am happy to post
the following letter from Joseph R. Hall, Technical Sales Manager at
California Natural Products (America's largest supplier of rice syrup and
related products, and the last time I checked, the only supplier to Imagine
Foods):
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
January 26, 1998

Dear Mr. Elkus:

Re: Removal of Barley Enzymes from CNP's Rice Ingredients

Effective January 1, 1998, California Natural Products no longer uses
enzymes extracted from barley or other grains for production of our rice
syrups, rice syrup solids, or rice oligodextrins (hydroloyzed rice starches
with C.D. 5-18 and 3% residual rice protein).  These ingredients are sold
broadly for use in formulating food products.  This statement also applies
to our line of certified organic rice ingredients.

All of the above products with lot numbers containing a five digit imbedded
number sequence ending in "8", e.g. BRS01078HM (for January 7, 1998) are
made without use of barley enzymes.

Ingredients made in 1997 or earlier would still contain very low levels of
barley protein as detailed in our earlier correspondence. It will obviously
take some time for remaining 1997 inventory to find its way into products,
and for these products to clear through the commercial food channels, but
at least we are moving our products in a direction that will result in
greater freedom of use by celiac sprue sufferers.

Sincerely,

Joseph R. Hall
Technical Sales Manager

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
As detailed in my prior posts to this list, Joe estimated "very low levels"
to be at most 15 mg barley protein per quart of Rice Dream, an amount in
excess of most Celiac's comfort level.

Joe's letter is great news for the Celiac community, and may have been the
result of several years of correspondence by our Listmembers and by members
of several Celiac support groups.  As Joe cautioned, it will be some time
before Rice Dream and other products on store shelves are barley free....
but the trend is great.

I encourage anyone impacted by this to send California Natural Products a
thank-you note: their fax number is 209-858-4076, and their address is: Box
1219, Lathrop CA 95330.  If firms receive thanks (and increased sales) for
helping celiacs, others will be encouraged to follow their lead.

CNP rice products are purchased by many food companies, and if a product
you want used to be on your "avoid" list due to the barley protein issue,
remember to check whether the manufacturer also uses OTHER suppliers of
rice protein or rice syrup.  Of course, there could also be other sources
of gluten in the product beyond the rice syrup.

I have been in contact with Imagine Foods recently, and we will attempt to
quantify any alleged gluten issues with grain alcohol used in their
flavorings.  Hopefully the amounts will be well below the range of concern
for most celiac experts.  I will report to the list as soon as details are
available.

Bill Elkus
Los Angeles