From:
Angelica Tudini <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Sep 1997 14:59:59 -0700

Hallo,

I recently moved to Arizona from Italy and wish to thank all of you since
I already benefitted a lot from the list.
In Italy, despite the high gluten content of the traditional diet, it is
much easier than here to be a celiac  thanks to a very organized Italian
Celiac Association that provides us with a comprehensive list of safe
products contacting the companies and more importantly , succeeded in
getting approval for a national law through which  we get for FREE a
certain quantity ( enough) of basic GF products, such as bread, pasta,
crackers, biscuits, per month!
 Finally, industrial products do not have as many additives as here so,
even without the list, shopping would be much easier.

There are a few things that are still not clear to me in the messages I
read in the last 4 or 5 months:
many people spoke about having symptoms or crises from accidentally
eating small amounts of gluten. This is really surprising for me because
I always thought that there is no symptom until you get really sick. I
consulted my doctor in Italy and he also confirmed that is very difficult
to recognize reactions to small gluten amounts. What is your experience?
What does it mean to get sick?

Other doubts concern products. I collected all the very useful
information provided by different people but I still have a few problems:
milk: the brand available were I live produces only Milk with vitamin A
and D added. I called the company but they were not very helpful. From
information I got from a book these should be safe additives, can you
confirm it?

Sour cream: any GF brand?

Cheese: sometimes there are no ingredients on the label. What do you do
in these cases?

Corn tortillas: I assume that additives "to preserve the freshness" are
safe. Did you ever come across any forbidden ingredient in corn
tortillas?

Finally, I noticed that some of the products listed by some members as GF
were in fact NOT GF. The first one is San J Soy Sauce that lists "wheat"
among its ingredients. The other one is Knudsen Cottage Cheese. I called
Kraft and they told me that they cannot guarantee that products not
included in their list (they  kindly sent me) are GF.

Thanks to everyone

Angelica Tudini