Date:
Tue, 2 Sep 1997 13:44:00 -0400

Summary about second hand smoke:

I searched the logfiles and found this post:
Just a couple of thoughts for any of you who may smoke.  I have a list of
cigarette ingredients from the RJ Reynolds tobacco company.  Some of the
ingredients are: wheat extract and flour, rye extract, malt from barley,
maltodextrin, hydrolyzed plant proteins and food starch modified.
Also cigars may have only tobacco leaves but there is a glue which holds
the cigar together and the glue has gluten in it.  Before we knew this my
CD son would be feeling great and then have some CD problems and we finally
realized it was always after one of his infrequent cigars.  Now no cigars
and no problems.  Pat

It was after reading this post that I sent my question the first time about
second hand smoke.  I didn't receive any responses back then but I receieved
quite a few this time around.  It seems that cigarettes can and are made
with gluten but no one knew for sure if the gluten was burned up or if it
was part of the exhaled smoke.  However, everyone who responded to my
question said that second hand smoke makes then very ill with Celiac type
symptoms.  The majority stated that they feel congested and indigestion.  I
am not a Celiac and I find I feel ill when I'm around smoke too, but perhaps
Celiac individuals are more sensitive.  So I guess the question still stands
about gluten in second hand smoke.  But know that sensitive Celiacs are not
alone when they complain about second hand smoke.

Here is another posting:

<<A while ago I posted a note the List that the new Players cigarrettes
contained semolina wheat granules in the filter.  I would assume that the
smoke people inhaled contained some gluten as a result but maybe not since
the wheat itself is not being burned.  I would certainly think having the
cigarette in your mouth would cause a bit of gluten to be ingested just by
touching the filter.  Let me know if you get any confirming notes from
people.  Maureen>>

Thanks to all that responded.  Take care and be smoke free :)
Chris in Ontario