From:
Erica Wieland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Sep 1997 06:33:11 -0700

I would imagine that it has to do with the body's adaptive response to
allergens. When constantly exposed to allergens, the body adapts by
reducing the "apparent" response to the allergen, and, often, by craving
the allergen (in the case of food). When the allergen is removed, the
body's adaptive response lessens, and the reintroduction of the allergen
produces an unmediated allergic response. I can't explain the exact
physiological mechanism, but I've read about it in numerous books on
allergy. It seems ironic, but I suppose it's better than continuing to
overstress the body.

Erica Wieland
Tacoma, WA USA

I received 12 responses to my question about gluten sensitivity levels of
people  on a gluten free diet.  10 people noticed an increase in sensitivity
levels after commencing the diet, most noticing a significant increase.
Symptoms reported include bloating, gas, cramps, itchy scalp and skin,
lethargy, dizziness and "intestinal distress".

I didn't receive any solutions or explanation for why this might be the
case.  I haven't been able to find any answers on the net either, so if
someone knows, please enlighten me.
Cheers,
Sandy
Brisbane, Australia