From:
Melissa Roberts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Nov 1997 08:10:20 -0500

Thanks for all the replies to my Teff inquiry.  I have given the information
to my local natural foods grocery store and he said he would see what he
could do through his distributor.  If he can't come up with anything I'll
order from the catalog.  I was so thrilled that Teff is still out there.

SUMMARY OF REPLIES:

-- Teff can be ordered from: (I got several replies about Bob's Red Mill and
Garden Spot)

Bob's Red Mill
5209 S.E. International Way
Milwaukie OR 97222
503-654-3215

Garden Spot Distributors
438 White Oak Road
New Holland PA 17557
717-354-4936
800-829-5100 (East of I-65 only)

Gold Mine Natural Food Co.
3419 Hancock Street
San Diego CA 92110-4307
800-475-3663

Mountain Ark Trader
P. O. Box 3170
Fayetteville AR 72701
800-643-8909

I've got recent catalogs from Bob's Red Mill and Gold Mine that have teff. I
haven't ordered from the other two for a while, but they probably still have
it.

-- Another reply said:
The grower for Teff is:

Maskal Teff
1318 Willow
Caldwell, ID  83605
208-454-3330

I believe that they are the only ones in the whole country who
are growing it.  Otherwise, I understand that, since it comes from
Africa, you can find it in an African grocery store (we have a few
in the San Francisco Bay area) but that it is full of little rocks
and stones.

--  Another reply gave the address as:

Try:  The Teff Company
        P.O. Box A
           Caldwell, Idaho, 83606
      (208) 455-0375

-- Another reply about The Teff Company:

Another Teff lover, I see.  You can buy direct from the Teff Co in Utah,
but that's in bulk, like 25 lb. min. If a large local support group then
that's one option. Last I knew, Shiloh either packaged it or Garden Spot
Distributors in Pa. did that for them with the Shiloh label.

Garden Spot 800-829-5100.

You can mail order from Garden Spot or let your local store order. Garden
Spot also carries goodies from Foods by George.

-- And lastly:

For teff try:

Jowar Foods, Inc.
Jowar: A new name for an old gluten-free cereal. Grain sorghum (Sorghum
Bicolor L. Moench) is one of the four most important cereal grains that
feed mankind. Jowar is the name that has been given to food-type grain
sorghums that have been recently developed in the USA by major universities
such at Texas A&M.

Jowar possesses a hard white grain free from "off" flavors & colors.
Products made solely from Jowar by Jowar Foods, Inc. are wheat and
gluten-free.

Jowar Foods, Inc., produces EXCELLENT(!) products from sorghum grain,
including: pancake mixes, muffin mixes, brownie mixes, and much more. They
also sell whole grain sorghum flour which is perfect for making breads,
pastries, cookies, and batters for frying and deep frying. In fact, these
sorghum flours make the best batters for fried chicken, onion rings, etc.
that I've tasted! Give them a try! They have whole grain flour for: 2 lbs.
$2.12, l0 lbs. $7.85, 20 lbs. $l3.86, and 5o lbs $32.34 (plus shipping &
handling). Shipping up to 5 lbs $4.75, 4l to 50 lbs for $l8.50, and various
charges for weights in between.

Jowar flour can be utilized for making ethnic foods such as Injera, Kisra,
Aseda, and Chapattis, and for the making of quick breads, pastries, pie
crusts, cakes, pancakes, etc., for those with wheat allergy or gluten
intolerance.

Contact: P.O.Box 824, Water Valley, TX 76958. Tel: (915) 484-338l. Fax.
(806) 364-l984. Visit their Website: http://www.jowar.com

We also have been having trouble getting the Aroowhead Mills Teff.  We now
carry Bob's and the price is $6.45 for 24 oz.  Hope this helps.

 recently cut out a newspaper clipping of an Ethiopian market in the
Boston area and it was mentioned that they sell teff as well as other
Ethiopian foods. I do not know if they ship but you could call them and
find out. If they do not ship they could maybe tell you who their
supplier is.  The name of the market is  A Touch of Merkato
                                         169 West Springfield St
                                         Boston,MA  dont know zip code
                                         (617)262-1801