From:
Walter & Susan Owens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jun 1997 08:05:28 -0500

Lynda,

I'd like to Amen what the other Susan said.  I'm very sceptical about Zantac.

My family has opiate excess problems with wheat and milk, and I found that
when my father was hospitalized for rehabilitation after hip surgery he
started to have reflux problems.  This was before we knew that he also had
opiate excess problems, but his Alzheimers got immediately much worse when
they gave him Zantac. The symptoms were so obvious, that his behavior made
me suspect he was on a new medication even though the doctors had not OK'd
the use of a new drug with me. :( Anyway, the neurological consequences my
father experienced are listed in the Physician's Desk Reference as potential
problems in the elderly who take Zantac, but the doctors missed this
connection with my father's new symptoms.

Studies consistently show the adequate production of HCL to be often
defective in the elderly, anyway (not to imply I know anything about your
age, Lynda!). Excess HCL in the elderly, on the other hand, is extremely
rare.  It can therefore be concluded that advertising that implies stomach
burning in the elderly is caused by excess HCL is just not in line with
consistent research results.  I don't know that much about studies of such
things in the non-elderly, but I don't think the symptomatology is all that
different, either.

Since opiate excess is a possible consequence of poor protein digestion
coupled with a leaky gut (which may have been exacerbated in my father by
the inflamation linked to his surgery), this sudden worsening of my father's
dementia on Zantac was exactly what made me suspect he had the same opiate
excess problems that my daughter and I have.  Removal of gluten and dairy
and elimination of Zantac restored a lot of mental function in him, and he
never has had any more problems with reflux, and we're talking about a
period of two years now.  His doctor surprised me in the last year by saying
my father's health is improving, unlike most Alzheimers patients she has
seen (she is a gerontologist), and another odd thing that has disappeared in
the meantime is a first degree heart block that showed up consistently in
the hospital (before the Zantac use, though).

I personally feel that Zantac is much overrated, and it galls me that the
elderly are targeted for this product when studies of HCL in the elderly
indicate that the most consistent find is DECREASED HCL.  (Just look for
those grey heads in their advertising!) I think the reason so much Zantac is
sold is that it does not treat the problem causing the symptom, only
temporarily dulls the symptom, and the continued reoccurence of the symptom
keeps the customers coming back for more. I'm glad my father doesn't even
have reflux or heartburn anymore and doesn't have to take anything!

I think the other Susan was speaking correctly that odds are digestive
enzymes would help you more, and might increase your ability to utilize your
food, rather than decrease your ability to digest food. That would likely
lead to better health, wouldn't you think?

Susan (an opiate-excess listmate, not someone with celiac)

Lynda wrote:

>        I too find that I take many antiacids, though not nearly so many as
>before the GF diet.  However, I still take "Zantac" 250mg. twice a day.
>Without them my stomach will burn and hurt terribly, and I also will have
>reflux problems.  (reflux is why they originally presribed the medication)
>
>My questions are:
>1.  What are the exact symptoms of low/lack of acid?
>2.  What questions should I be asking my Dr. to help in the diagnosis of
>this condition?
>3.  Is this condition reversable?
                            (Walter & Susan Owens)
                            Dallas, Texas  USA