From:
Sylvia Genders LeReverend <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 May 1997 12:35:47 -0400

For those of you who might find something of interest in this because of
problems with an autistic child, my oldest was born after a very bad
pregnancy, with which I was toxic from the 11th week (this was not
classical toxemia so typical with primaparas). My son was born with a
seizure disorder, severe mental handicaps, and autism. He was breast-fed,
and back then it was believed that no baby could be allergic to his
mother's milk. Well, my son was projectile-vomiting every time I fed him,
and after four weeks of nursing he was put onto tinned formula, which broke
my heart.

Now this was over 25 years ago, back when women weren't told what was wrong
other than "don't you worry your pretty little head". My son was
hospitalized when the doctor saw this stuff, and the baby was listed as
'failure to thrive'. The next few years were a nightmare as I was
considered by some professionals to be a 'cold' mother, as this was
supposedly the cause of autism, though now they know genetics plays a role,
especially with the unlearned behaviours and strange posture of the feet,
etc.). And my being affectionate and loving was not warranted to be
genuine, but ironically a stumbling block when I was told to
institutionalize him and forget him (I wouldn't and didn't!). Regardless of
his severe limitations, he is a very nice and affectionate guy now.l

I wish I had known about celiac disease then. I do have a friend whose
small son is autistic (nothing like mine), and the information I have
learned here may help her and her son immensly.

(Thanks for listening!)

Sylvia   8-)  +

Nelsie's Cupboard   --<-@   Yesterday's answers for today's skin
--<-<@ Custom soaps & toiletries for very sensitive people @>->--