From:
Anne Washburn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jun 1997 11:00:11 -0400

Well, we started the gluten challenge yesterday. Ben has been GF for at
least a couple of months, feeling great, etc. I mentioned earlier that he
had grown 1.25 inches and gained 3 lbs. during a GF period! He will have a
biopsy this summer and needs to eat gluten to prepare.

We asked him if he wanted to eat wheat yesterday...he said No. :-) So, my
husband said, let me rephrase this. What would you like to eat if you
could eat anything you wanted!? Ah! There was this roll he had seen my dad
eat (a bialy, for you yankees out there) and boy, that had smelled good!
So, they got bagels and bialys. We had Chinese food for supper, as if
there were no tomorrow. He had 3 pieces of toast for breakfast
today....and finally, the expected response. Dr Hill, Ben's GI, doesn't
think he will have to endure a challenge too long because he is so
symptomatic. We wanted to get this started before it was too close to
school starting again (late August).  Ben will be in 4th grade with a new
teacher, new everything (our classes stay together for 3 yrs, it's a
Montessori school), and we want him to start out on the right foot! (He
exhibits psychological changes when he eats gluten, not conducive to happy
experiences in school!)

Per the recent discussion, and for those of you who are new to the list,
Ben had the blood test done in March, and it came back negative. He had a
lactose intolerance test done and it was off the chart. Dr Hill said he
had never seen it so high! But, the lactose intolerance can also be caused
by a gluten problem, and it's important to know whether it is celiac or
"just" a wheat allergy. So, we are proceeding with the biopsy.

Anne Washburn
Co-owner, APH - Association of Personal Historians List