From:
Kathryn Whipple <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jun 1997 00:08:14 -0400

Hello everyone,

Thank you for the very kind and informative responses to my post.
I agree with a couple of people who said that though there are medical
differnces between allergy and intolerance, the necessary diet changes are
the same.. Since I am feeling so much better after a few weeks,GF, I feel
confirmed in my decision. Lately the most dramatic change has been my
sleeing--instead of sleeping 10 hours and waking up exhausted, I am sleeping
6 or 7 and waking up revved and ready to go.

How common is it for allergy/intolerance to cause weight gain rather than
weight loss? Since my second GF week, I find my appetite has changed--I no
longer crave fats (I was eating olive oil by the spoonful), and I don't
helplessly overstuff myself at every meal.  I theorize that the gluten
interfered with nutrient absorption, making me overeat to stay fed.
(I eat home grown organic vegetables and organic grains, mostly--very
careful of my diet, trying to stay well. I couldn't understand how I could
eat sucha  great diet and feel so awful.)

The differnce in the way I feel in a few weeks is just dumbfounding. I keep
waiting for the other shoe to drop.

To those who have not heard, Rice Dream products contain trace amounts of
barley gluten, and some contain grain-alcohol based vanilla extract.For some
this is a problem and for others, not at all. Use your best judgement.
One person requested a  list of lactose free products, bu I  have to say I
really can't provide that. there are literally _thousands_of dairy free foods
on the market--I can discuss particular products fairly knowlegably, and i
have a long list of 800 numbers to use, so maybe i can help that way. I will
work on transcribing the Wheat free/Gluten free list this week. Nor having
to sleep 10 hours really frees up a lot of time!

Thanks,
Kathryn