From:
Ron Hoggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Jun 1997 18:40:43 -0700

On Sat, 28 Jun 1997, Kathryn Whipple wrote:

> Does anyone one on the list know how gluten intolerance might be related to
> fibromyalgia? the Symptoms, as far as I can tell, are very similar.

This is an interesting question. The anti-endomysium antibody test has
been shown to be a very reliable indicator of the presence of celiac
disease in those who are not IgA deficient. Since endomysium tissues are
penetrate into the the interior of each fascicle, covering and separating
each muscle fibre, an autoimmune attack on endomysium tissues should
result in the symptoms we call fibromyalgia.  Ergo: celiac disease should
usually be accompanied by fibromyalgia, and fibromyalgia should usually
herald the presence of antibodies which are diagnostic for celiac disease.

> And how does a wheat allergy  compare to gluten intolerance?

The differences are rooted in the type of antibody response mounted. In
gluten intolerance, there is IgA and/or IgG antibody response to the
offending substance. In allergy, there is IgM and/or IgE antibody response.

For me, the distinction is primarily semantic. I seem to have both the
allergy and the intolerance.

Best Wishes,
Ron Hoggan    Calgary, Alberta, Canada