From:
Karen Bulmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Mar 1997 11:10:25 -0700

I was diagnosed 3 years ago after my son (age 20 mths) was diagnosed with
CD.  Basically my only symptom, I remember,  was frequent anemia.

After my son was born I was hemoraging (sp) and required an emergency D&C
and when tests were done I was found to be extremely anemic.  They had a
transfusion band on my wrist I was that close to requiring someone elses
blood.  I was on 2 slow-release iron tablets for 6 mths before my iron
levels were up to allow reduction to 1 tablet for 3 mths.

There is a history of Attention Deficit Disorder in my husbands side of the
family.

Questions:

1.  Both sons (age 7 and 5) are Attention Deficit Hyperactive and as this is
a chemical imbalance in the brain, could this condition be partly due to the
fact that I am celiac and was not absorbing all the nutrients and vitamins
that I was ingesting during pregnancy?  Boys were at birth 8lbs. 11 oz and 9
lbs. 3 oz.  At 1 yr old they were respectively 30 lbs. and 28 lbs. The
second,younger is the celiac and his weight dropped to 22 lbs at 20 mths,
while the older one was 45 lbs. at 2 yrs.

2.  The older son has had 1 blood test done for celiac disease instead of
the normal 3 I have read about on the list.  The doctor said that he is not
a candidate for celiac.  He has chronic constipation and I have read this
could also be a sign of celiac.  Two years ago he was on laxative therapy
for 3 mths, in December he started enema therapy and laxative therapy again
that the doctor says should be about 6 mths before his bowels return to
normal.  Should I pursue the celiac factor with another doctor to get proper
testing done for him?  He follows a gluten reduced diet and did at the time
of the blood test, because of the celiacs in the family.

3.  The older son has been identified as ADHD with underlying signs of
autism.  In reading the autism info related to a GF diet could this autism
like behavior be due to the fact that he is ingesting gluten and casein?
Does one just follow a gluten free and casein free diet and monitor
symptoms/actions to determine if diet could really help or are there tests
for the casein factor?

Any information, list connections, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Karen Bulmer
St. Albert, AB, Canada