From:
James W Dees <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Feb 1997 20:23:12 EST

Confessions of a Long Time Celiac

        As I have reviewed the postings on CD for the past few
weeks, I have discovered that I had made a fairly good
adjustment to celiac disease without ever knowing it.  I
thought you might benefit from what I have learned.
        My earliest recollections as a young child included
symptoms of gluten sensitivity.  I was forever hungry.  All
foods that included grains gave me an initial rush followed
by a depression.  Eventually, I learned to avoid wheat
bread, but continued to eat oatmeal and some rye bread.
They bothered me, but not at much.  I never ate much barley.
        In the course of trying to accommodate to CD without
really knowing that I had it, I found it necessary to take a
number of food supplements.  You may find the list of these
helpful.
Vitamin A:  10,000 units with breakfast and again at supper
Vitamin B complex, 50 milligrams of most of the B vitamins
taken with each meal.
Vitamin C with rose hips and/or bioflavanoids:  2 grams
twice daily, at breakfast and supper.
Vitamin D:  400 units with breakfast and again at supper
Vitamin E:  400 units with breakfast
Lecithin:  One tablespoon taken with breakfast
Calcium, magnesium, zinc and copper:  with breakfast and
supper
        Calcium:  1000 mg
        Magnesium:  400 mg
        Zinc:  15 mg
        Copper:  1 mg
All of these minerals are required to build bones, but it is
critical that the calcium and magnesium be taken
simultaneously.  By volume, your bones are half magnesium
and half calcium.  Calcium is about twice the density of
magnesium.  Your body cannot produce bones if it only has
calcium.  Furthermore, if you are magnesium deficient, your
body actually uses calcium in your body to eliminate excess
dietary calcium that the body needs, but cannot use.

        When I have an upset stomach, I find apple cider
vinegar and honey diluted with sufficient water to be an
excellent tonic.

        I hope this is of value to you.

                                                Jim Dees