From:
Bill Vellios <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Jan 1997 12:11:27 -0500

 It Seems to me also, that the longer I am on the gluten free diet the more
sensitive I become. I thought it was just me. Thanks for the information.

 I have been a celiac with DH for some 40 years. Long before it was
recognized by the medical profession. My wife had figured it out, that it had
something to do with wheat and oats, almost from the onset. Doctors wouldn't
believe it and stated there was no such thing. I tried to avoid wheat and
oats though, and would go on a starvation diet for a week on many occassions.
 I would feel great and my skin would almost cear up. But, again I would go
back to old habits.

   It was confirmed that I had DH and Celiac Sprue only four years ago by a
biopsy.

  I know I have been rambling with this story about myself, but I want it to
be clear to all celiacs, how important I feel it is to avoid even the
smallest trace of gluten. I had no idea that the other problems I slowly
developed had anything to do with gluten;  Problems with the immune system,
sarcoid of the lungs, immune induced cronic hepatitis, peripheral neuropathy,
cerebellar atrophy, esophageal problems and others. They all didn't happen at
the same time. There has been a progression over many years. And to my
amazement, I have found out recently that there is a defimite association
between celiac disease and the disorders I have mentioned. And there are many
more related  disorders. These concepts were featured in "Lifeline" a news
letter published by CSA/USA in the Spring of 1996. (VolumeXIV  No 2) The
title of the article was "Definitions Associated with Celiac Disease".

If only I had know earlier, about celiac disease and the qluten free diet, I
could have avoided hospital situations, and sickness later in life.

  It is my opion from my experience with this disease, and the slow onset of
the other related health  problems, that ever little amount of gluten adds up
to big problems.

   Have a Happy New Year; eat right, and remain healthy the rest of your
life.

Bill Vellios Sr.  St. Louis, Missouri