From:
Bob Harrington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Oct 1997 15:55:52 PDT

Dear ALL,

Since the Catholic Church appears to be absolutely insistent upon
forcing obediant celiacs to eat communion bread made with at
least a little gluten in it ( albeit, perhaps mainly made from almost
gluten free  wheat starch) --  does anyone know if there is any
 requirement as to how large the communion wafer must be?

That is, we can always reduce the amount of gluten ingested
by reducing the size of the wafer.

Is a 1 gram wafer OK?      A 0.01 gram wafer?
A 0.0001 gram wafer?      etc.

I know it works that way with holy water -- a little
drop will do it.

In this regard, I recently received a letter from
Ernesto Guiradles, M.D., which I quote from here
(without his permission, but I doubt that he would
mind) as being of interest:

" The President of the Chilean Bishops' Conference stated, back in 1982,
that fragments of the Holy Host of any size (small enough as to not induce
symptoms in celiacs) could be taken at Communion by celiac patients. Even
very small fragments (e.g. 1 tenth of the regular host) share the same
properties of the whole host. "

If this statement of the Chilean Bishops is correct and applies worldwide --
then it appears that the problem is solved.  Just take a really little bit of
an already gluten reduced wafer.