Date:
Sun, 22 Jun 1997 11:14:47 -0400

On Sat. 21 June, l997 Jim Lyles' posted very sound reasons for persons who
suspect they have celiac disease to get an 'official' diagnosis with a
biopsy.  Good advice!

However, let's remember that many times the problem is not with the sick
person but rather with their medical professional/s who may not even make
celiac a CONSIDERATION and use IBS to label the patient's complaints.  We
have newly diagnosed celiacs turn up at our celiac sprue support group
meetings each quarter.  Usually these people have been sick for YEARS before
their problems are taken seriously.  By this time they have other physical
complications, as well, and they look like it---- and these are the lucky
ones.  Our group is located in a large city and extends northward and
southward to the adjoining states, as well as being only one of two small
support groups in our state.  Given the reality of the statistics many
doctors, at least in our part of the couontry, are not moving their patients
into channels that can diagnose their problems if these doctors cannot do it
themselves.  Even if the patient's themselves are getting clues that celiac
may be the culprit, we hear frequently that many doctors do not take kindly
to such patient input.

Also, let's remember we're talking about sick people most of whom have been
trying to USE the medical system to get well.

A biopsy based diagnosed is, of course, the way to go.  But if this is not
available , it is certainly preferable to give a thoughtful, serious try with
a gluten-free diet , rather than spend years becoming increasingly ill.

These sick people should not be made to feel guilty nor should they be
chastized.  Instead we all need to work harder to increase doctor awareness,
but IMO the medical profession is going to have to take the major
responsibility for this.

Dona Vickrey      Tennessee