From:
David Scheim <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 May 1997 10:27:27 -0400

I've never thought of this in particular with regard to Celiac disease,
but there are dozens of medical studies indicating that certain
polysaccharides boost immune function, including natural killer cell
activity.  Chlorella contains polysaccharides in the cell wall and is
one of the best such sources and general supplements.  A good dose is
about 5-10 grams daily -- it can be mixed or blended into something like
apple juice or juice plus yogurt.  The best U.S. source I have found is
Spectrum Botanicals in Oregon, 541 456-2082.  -- It costs something like
$60 per pound.  I think this is probably the best overall supplement
containing immune-boosting polysaccarides for someone with Celiac.  It
also has some anti-inflammatory properties that could be helpful for
Celiac.

I would have reservations about long-term use of steriods.  There are
some herbs that have potent anti-inflammatory properties and are safe
over long periods of time.  The most potent such products available in
the U.S. are made by a company called BotanicLabs (800 242-5555) in
California.  They have several products including one for Rheumatoid
arthritis that have very powerful antiinflammatory components - some of
these products have been the subject of research and testing by U.S. MDs
and PhDs and the World Health organization.  They are highly
concentrated through high-tech processing, however, and are not cheap,
but it is possible that a regular dose for a month or so and then a
lower maintenance dose could work.  I would not ordinary think of these
with respect to this list, but am adding this information in response to
the specific question about swelling of lymph nodes.  Such products
could be helpful for anyone with continuing autoimmune complications
from CD--they usually have anti-inflammatory benefits noticable within a
few days or weeks at most.  I've successfully used one product, "SPES",
myself, but there are probably other products they make more suitable
for CD.