From:
Elise Gorseth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 May 1997 10:38:09 -0400

I recently posted a request to this list for information regarding actual
testing done on distilled alcohol and vinegar made from distilled alcohol.
I received 10 responses, but not one person could actually document testing
for gluten in alcohol and vinegar. Just because you can't prove that gluten
isn't present DOES NOT mean that we should assume that it is, it means that
we don't know whether or not it is present.

I am particularly sensitive to all of the anecdotal reports about adverse
reactions to various products, with no actual evidence that there could be
gluten contamination involved. If something makes you sick, by all means
don't eat it but please don't state that the item must contain gluten
unless you have proof. There aren't that many people who regularly post to
this list but according to the welcome letter there are 1900 subscribers.
This means that if as many as 20 people have posted adverse responses to
alcohol or vinegar it may seem like a lot but it's really only 1% of the
list members. There is great danger in making sweeping generalizations
based on the reports of 20 voices in the midst of 1900 silent ones, and we
should all remember this when we post to the list. We should use our own
good judgement when deciding what information posted on this list applies
to us and what doesn't.

Elise A. Gorseth
Assistant Scientist
SCRIPTGEN Pharmaceuticals Inc.
200 Boston Avenue, Suite 3000
Medford, MA 02155

Tel: (617) 393-8032
Fax: (617) 396-1028
E-mail: [log in to unmask]

The contents of this posting are based only on my personal opinions and do
not reflect the views held by my employer, SCRIPTGEN Pharmaceuticals Inc..