From:
Chris Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Apr 1997 16:38:31 GMT

Well, despite the recent tip that ordering GF meals on planes is not always
successful, I wondered how I could go about doing just that for my upcoming
trip from California to London. I'll be flying on British Air, but am unsure
how to order the meal. Do I just ask my travel agent to do it? How much
advance notice does the airline need?

Also, I'd appreciate any tips for finding GF goods/meals around: Heathrow
Airport, Reading, Windsor, Swindon, Glastonbury, Bath, and the
Shropshire/Shrewsbury/Chester areas.

(Sorry if I murdered any of those spellings).

My English traveling companion has suddenly dropped from the scene, so I'll
be relying on his friends and his family over there to guide me. I'm worried
about my "food problem" seeming like an imposition to my hosts. Is it true
that more people in England are familiar with Celiac - and are less likely to
look at me like a nut when I ask what's in the food? Is there a specific term
I should use to describe my "allergy to things like wheat bread" in order to
ring the right bells with people?

Any reassurance/guidance would be appreciated. Thanks in advance,

Christine Harrison
Bakersfield, CA. USA