From:
Jim Barron <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Sep 1996 14:41:30 -0500

>I would like to say that from what I have read on this post, in medical
>journals, heard in seminars and by word of mouth that  a multivitamin
>would be a good idea for you 2 and 1/2 year old. I understand that with
>celiac's disease that one does not probably digest the B vitamins and is
>therefore deficient on them.
>
>However, I would also like to add that you pediatrician and/or general
>practioner are always the best place to start for any such "medical
>information".

Because of the appalingly inadequate training given on nutritional
supplementation (and nutrition in general) in medical schools*,  it would
be, IMHO, unwise to ASSUME that a pediatrician or general practioner was
necessairly well informed on either nutrition or supplementation.

*  A survey of general practitioners showed that the average GP knew about
as much about nutrition AS HIS SECRETARY -- unless the secretary was on a
diet, in which case she usually knew MORE!

Since we have seen on this list that even a trained DIETICIAN is not
necessairily well informed on the nutritional needs of celiacs, it is VERY
important to insure that anyone from whom you seek nutritional advice is
well qualified IN THAT AREA.    And being a GP does not necessairily imply
such qualification.

Jim Barron
Chapel Hill NC