From:
"Diane Thompson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jun 1996 22:07:28 -0500

Hi! My name is Diane Thompson, in Wichita, KS and this is my first week
with this group and my first post.  Please pardon any mistakes.  I'm just a
beginner.

I can't help but comment on the statement about the Grass family and the fact
(new to me) that all plants containing Gluten belong to it.  Years ago I was
tested for allergies and Grass is the plant/tree that I am most allergic to.
I am also allergic to eggs (sulfur?). I wonder if all people who are
allergic to grass also have a problem with gluten? If allergists knew of the
connection they would be helping a lot of sick people by informing them of a
possible intestinal problem.  My two sons' paternal grandfather was also
very allergic to grass.  My older boy has autism and the other (very thin
kid) also has a big grass allergy and a problem with lactose.  I just had
the small bowell biopsy done to confirm that I have celiac disease. On both
sides of the family everyone came from the Brittish Isles.  Lucky us!

>In your list of ingredients, all of the plants in parentheses are
>members of the Dicotyledon subclass of flowering plants which makes them
>only very distantly related to the plants which are known to contain
>gluten. All plants known to contain gluten are members of the Grass family
>which falls within the Monocotyledon subclass.  Only a few members of the
>Grass family contain gluten.

Internet is wonderful!  I am really learning a lot without leaving my house.
Thanks!