Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 15 May 1997 11:38:55 +0200
From:
Escuela de Secretariado Internacional <[log in to unmask]>

A query that someone may be able to answer:

Two years ago one of my granddaughters, aged two at the time, was
diagnosed CD and since then has developed normally on a gluten free
diet. We understand that the condition is hereditary but can find no-one
who has suffered any of the symptoms or even been sickly in the families
going back at least to her great grandparents.

Three weeks ago, however, my wife (60+) was suddenly taken ill with
acute peritonitis due to a perforated malformation (diverticule) in the
duodenum. After a touch-and-go operation, and despite unencouraging
reports from the surgeons immediately afterwards, she has recovered
exceptionally well. Since we were married (37 years ago) until now she
has had exceptionally good health. She has always been very careful
about her food and instinctively avoided many of the things included in
the GF forbidden list (although we did not know of gluten intolerance
before my granddaughter was diagnosed). She came home yesterday and,
when we discussed what she could eat during her convalescence, she not
only refused any elaborate dish but became visibly uncomfortable at the
mention of cereals, pasta, bread etc.

I understand little of medicine and less of the rather obscure medical
terms I have uncovered researching my granddaughter's illness but the
duodenum has cropped up several times. Therefore my question:

Could it be that the illness my wife has suffered is somehow related to
gluten intolerance?

As I receive a large number of junk e-mails every day, please title
replies "Reply to query".

Martin Harris