Date:
Mon, 24 Feb 1997 22:51:43 -0500

The response was wonderful, thank you too all who sent me suggestions for
obtaining gluten free vanilla.  Here is a summary:

Many suggested McCormick's brand, it is made from a synthetic ethyl alcohol
and is gluten free.

Dietary Specialties is another brand.

Williams Sonoma carries a brand called Madagascar Vanilla or it can be
ordered from Good Foods.

Frontier brand has alcohol and non alcohol vanilla extracts available that
are gluten free.

Many people suggested I make my own.  Here is one of several recipes:

1 vanilla bean (break into 2-3 pieces--to fit in smaller jar & probably
                release more flavor???)
1/2 cup potato vodka or white rum
pinch of sugar

Place in jar with lid.  Shake & let set 2-2 1/2 MONTHS.  The vanilla bean
can be used in the next batch you "brew" but may not have enough left in
it for the third time.  Enjoy.  I try to start one after 1 month or so
that the other one is brewing and then I don't run out.
(if anyone is interested in making their own vanilla extract I can send a
copy of the other recipes I received, just email me with the request)

I'm not certain which suggestion I will try first but the prospect of making
my own vanilla extract is an interesting one.  This gluten free diet sure
has ways of making us into good ol' fashioned cooks don't it?  Make it all
from scratch, it's the safest way :)  Who knew?

Take care...and happy baking!
Chris in Ontario