Date:
Sat, 5 Apr 1997 07:44:29 -0500

One of my maintstays in the past had been tuna fish.  Since October of '96 I
haven't bought nor eaten any canned tuna fish because of celiac sprue.
 Someone on the list said that low salt tuna was okay.  So....I began to
examine all of the main brand tuna fish at the Safeway in Washington.

  Last night I saw StarKist Select Prime Light Fillets.  Ingredients:  light
tuna, spring water, vegetable broth, salt.  Yes, I hope.

The  Starkist Solid White Tuna, my old favorite, has white tuna, spring
water, hydrolyzed casein, hydrolyzed soy protein, vegetable broth, salt,
pyrophosate.  Obviously this is a no no.

Question:  What does hydrolyzed mean?  Hydrolyzed casein or hydrolyzed soy
protein - Is it the break down of the chemical elements of casin or soy
protein or something else?  And are these two ingredients okay or is it the
vegetable broth that is not and is in both types of canned tuna?

Thank you   Sarah
Washington, D.C.